Thursday, October 29, 2009

To Blog or Not To Blog (or, "Why am I doing this?")

I just realized that many of you reading this may not know the reason that I created this blog in the first place. Here's the text of a post that I made to the NaNoWriMo forum Participants' Blogs:

Created a blog as a motivator: Win or face humiliation!

Taking a cue from a few other writers, I established a blog to chronicle the development of my novel. I wasn’t motivated as much by my desire to share my work as I was to motivate myself to write and thus avoid public humiliation.

My stream-of-consciousness reasoning is as follows:

If I create a blog and lots of people subscribe to it then I’ll have to have something to blog about so I’ll have to continue to make regular progress on my novel or face the embarrassment that comes from telling lots of people that I’m going to do something and then not doing it.

To push the cattle prod even further into my alimentary canal, I’m emailing the link to all my family members (even the ones who don’t like me). This way, win or lose I’m bound to receive some attention – even if it’s just from people reminding me that I still owe them money.

As a bonus, if I do rack up a sizeable word count, I may receive some quality feedback from some the procrastinating NaNoers who are reading about my novel instead of writing their own. Most likely this will come in the form of comments such as, “Don’t quit your day job!” or “Haven’t I read something like this before?” or the ever popular “You suck.”

In any case, please visit http://moravecthreshold.blogspot.com/ and share my progress as I VOW TO CONTRIBUTE CONTENT TO THE BLOG DAILY UNTIL NOVEMBER 30, 2009!

1 comment:

  1. "If I create a blog and lots of people subscribe to it then I’ll have to have something to blog about so I’ll have to continue to make regular progress on my novel or face the embarrassment that comes from telling lots of people that I’m going to do something and then not doing it."

    This sums up one of my strongest motivators for blogging perfectly! Good luck with NaNo. This is going to be my first year participating!

    ReplyDelete

Please help my dragons hatch!

Adopt one today! Adopt one today!